The objective of this page is to give students and graduates a concrete step-by-step guideline on how to proceed when they write a thesis at our chair. Note that each of the below steps is mandatory except stated otherwise.
- Find a topic. Browse open topics on our web site or ask researchers at our chair for an overview of the most recent topics. Attach at least a current CV and a transcript of records.
- Initial meeting with a research assistant or post-doc. In this step, you meet with a researcher discussing on the topic and possible research objectives and research questions. These meetings are characterized by their informal nature and commonly the results are vague at this stage.
- Creation of a web-page at our chair’s system. The goal of this step is to create a short summary, a so-called abstract about the discussed topic you are going to research on. Note that this abstract commonly is not final and typically is revisited several times until your thesis is complete. Here is an example for such a page. For good examples on abstracts, we refere to our list of publications.
- Initial Meeting with Prof. Matthes, your Supervisor, and a research assistant or post-doc, your advisor. During this meeting, the idea is discussed together with Prof. Matthes and you get his direct feedback on your and your advisor’s ideas. Discuss the title of the thesis, following the TUM guidelines, see Link.
- Revise the abstract on our web-page. Goal is to incorporate the feedback.
- Register for the advanced seminar via TUMonline (Oberseminar - Software Engineering betrieblicher Informationssysteme (IN2122)). If your thesis covers more than one semester you have to re-register. You have to participate regularly.
- Apply to the topic formally. In this step you have to provide the formal application and the documents required in the checkliste. You can get the former at the InfoPoint whereas the latter is provided by the chair’s secretary. Hand in both, signed, at the chair’s secretary and use this guideline.
- Give the kick-off presentation at the advanced seminar.
- Search for a free slot on the website
- Contact your advisor to register the slot
- Upload your slides for the advanced seminar as PDF and PPTX to the web-page of your project (see kick-off presentation slides attribute). Please, do it before the start of the advanced seminar.
- Proceed with your research and write up your thesis. During this time, you should provide status updates proactively to your advisor. This is an opportunity; maybe you came up with new ideas and you want to have feedback; maybe your find another interesting direction that is worthwhile to research on.
- Hand in a draft version (80-90%) to your advisor. At this stage, any results should be as concrete as possible presented in the thesis. Maybe your advisor can help you to oversee something that is missing and provide feedback on writing style and clarity.
- Give the final presentation. This presentation makes up a significant part of the grading. We expect you to present your results. In such a presentation, commonly people tend to run out of time. Focus on the interesting results; do not include everything. Before the final presentation, upload the presentation as PDF and PPTX on the web-page where your abstract is stored (see final presentation slides attribute).
- Print your thesis. There are various ways to print your thesis that go far beyond this guideline. A brief advice: Be aware that printing multiple theses without errors may take more than one day.
- Hand in your thesis. Congratulations! You are almost done. In this step, check your printed thesis for completeness. Are formal regulations met? Is the title of the formal application and the actually printed title the same? If not, you might want to talk with your advisor; maybe you have to reprint or to change the title. The latter is very uncommon and you should have had a chat with your advisor about such an issue during step 7. Hand in the thesis at our chair (1 copy) and at the InfoPoint (2 copy) and some advisors are happy about an additional copy (3, optional, copy)
- Upload your final thesis as a PDF file to the web page containing the abstract at our chair. Make sure everything is up-to-date (abstract, pictures, etc.) on the page. Make all resources used available to your advisor. Future research may build upon your results; completeness is expected.
- Get your grade. Your grade is determined by your advisor and your supervisor. The final say has the supervisor. The faculty will sent the chair a formal form that is filled out subsequently. Commonly the decision process does not take too long and you can expect get informed about your grade one month from submitting your thesis. Prerequisites for this step are: 1) handed-in thesis, 2) you have finished your web page, and 3) the page indicates the status completed which has been set by your advisor.
- Unregister from the advanced seminar
Please read and obey the information given in the document Merkblatt zu den Grundsätzen guter studentischer Praxis
Find below different aspects of scientific work: literature, papers, presentations, etc.
- Der kurze Zeitschriftenartikel Strukturieren statt Formulieren aus der Zeitschrift Forschung & Lehre (2/2010) gibt Tipps zu effektiven Schreiben eines wissenschaftlichen Texts in vier Schritten.