The chair of Software Engineering for Business Information Systems (sebis) at the Technical University of Munich is looking for excellent candidates for a fully funded PhD position in the area of Natural Language Processing (NLP) for Dialogue Systems.
- Research & development projects in the area of Natural Language Understanding, Dialogue Management, and Natural Language Generation with a focus on engineering English and/or German Dialogue Systems
- Contribution to Software Engineering and NLP teaching on Bachelor’s and Master’s levels
- Supervision of Bachelor and Master theses
- Practice-oriented research projects with renowned partners from the publishing industry, judiciary, information technology, medicine, customer protection, and other industry sectors
- Wide scope of possible Dialogue Systems research topics and technologies, including but not limited to
- Semantic Conversational Search, Question Answering, Dialogue Management, User Modeling, Open-Ended Conversations
- Software Engineering of multi-agent-based Dialogue Systems, Security and Scalability Testing
- Full-time position (100% TVL-E 13, fixed-term contract)
- Great working environment in a young, dynamic team at one of the leading European universities
- Opportunity to travel to prestigious international research conferences
- Contribution to open-source projects and collaborations with start-ups and spin-offs
- Excellent training and career support opportunities (courses, personal coaching)
- An exciting, stimulating, and supportive work environment
- Excellent Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Data Science or a similar field
- Theoretical knowledge and practical experience in Natural Language Processing, ideally for Dialogue Systems
- Experienced in Software Engineering
- Motivation to build innovative solutions involving industrial partners
- Interest in applying NLP technologies to develop Dialogue Systems for various application domains:
- Usage of state-of-the-art software frameworks for building conversational agents
- Interaction with both technical and domain experts
- Strong communication skills and the ability to lead software development in distributed multicultural teams
- Advanced English and ideally German language skills
Please send your motivation letter, CV, and transcript of records to Prof. Florian Matthes (email@example.com).
We are looking forward to your application!
Severely disabled persons are given preference in the case of essentially equal suitability and qualifications.
The TUM strives to increase the proportion of women; applications from women are therefore expressly welcomed.
When applying for a position at the Technical University of Munich (TUM), you submit personal data. Please refer to our data protection information in accordance with Art. 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (DSGVO) regarding the collection and processing of personal data in the context of your application (https://portal.mytum.de/kompass/datenschutz/Bewerbung/). By submitting your application, you confirm that you have taken note of the TUM data protection information.